Sunday 3 January 2010

First Draft & Focus Group

First Draft

COVER
CONTENTS

ARTICLES



Focus Group

I have made a first draft of my magazine pages, to ensure my magazine will appeal to my target audience I held an informal focus group of 3 girls and 3 boys who currently read rock magazines and are in involved with the genre to gain feedback on my cover, contents page and two articles. I asked the my target audience for good points that they liked about the pages and improvements and changes they would like to see in order to make the magazine more appealing, interesting and practical.

Good points made were:

  • Editor’s note addresses the reader personally
  • Use of fonts on cover is very good
  • Good quality images used in the articles
  • Nice ‘rock like’ colour scheme used on the front cover
  • Nice that the artist on the cover is a strong female rather than a male
  • Direct eye contact from the artist on cover makes the magazine feel personal

Points for improvement made were:

  • Contents page looks bare
  • Not enough images on contents page
  • Not enough information on contents page
  • ‘IfYouSeeKay’ article uses a font that is too big and the article is too short
  • In the ‘Miss-Conceptions’ article, the main image will be cut in half by the pages meeting in the middle of the magazine – re-consider the layout?

From my focus group I have learnt that my contents page needs a lot of work in order to meet the needs of my target audience. My front cover seems to have appealed to my focus group however there are a few changes that need to be made to my two articles. I feel that I have gained quality information that will help make my final product as good as is can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment